Tuesday, May 20, 2014

HOMEWORK STATION

How do you organize your kids' revision time and books? Our revision time is at 8-10 p.m. during weekdays and during the weekends I don't have any allocated time slots for revision (But thinking of having formal time for it) So okay, time schedule checked. Next is the revision materials. We need books & the stationary. The books were arranged as shown below:  


I've divided the shelves for my three kids - noticed the three different patterns of file stands. The shelves underneath the file stands are the hand-me-down books, archive of stuff and also pass years' exam papers. I used cereal boxes to keep the papers and books (Yes, they direly in need of TLC. Will address that later)

The problem with this arrangement, it was not done according to subjects. Hence, I had to spend quite sometimes to find the books for my three kids. Each is supposed to revise on three subjects daily (three? Yes, because they've Islamic subjects). Why didn't they get the books themselves? As I've said, all the books are in the file stands. So, they have difficulty in finding the books and also in deciding which book to choose as there are a few books in a subject.

My idea of a homework station sparked when I read this post. She organizes her kids' homework according to the days. Awesome! Let us try this system.


Steps
  1. Find/buy 5 folders for a five-day homework system & label them. I use white sticker & decorate it with washi tape
  2. Set revision schedule 
  3. Write the schedule of the day in the folder
  4. Put the respective books in the files (I change the contents during weekends - if required)
  5. Arrange stationary in clear container (pen, pencil, tools)
  6. Prepare a clipboard for to-do tasks related to the homework station 
  7. Arrange the file folders, stationary, dictionaries and reference books on the shelve.




Cost
2 file folders RM24 (have 3 folders already)
Clip file RM2
Stationary containers RM0 
Total RM26

What next?
It's quite a sore to the eyes to see the different height of the files. When I bought the 2 new folders, I didn't take measurements of the folders that I already have. So, I might buy new folders to standardize them.

Before & after
Still early to say either the system is effective or not. But, at the moment I'm happy to have accomplished this task. Now I can concentrate during the 2-hour revision time solely with them (minus playtime with Adik :)). Today is Wednesday, so orange file please..






2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...